Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why is eBay so SHIT?

At the beginning of the year I decided to sell some of my old crap on eBay, to make a little money and be rid of some clutter. But my experience was in fact, not what I hoped it would be. In fact the way eBay behaved was astonishing. So allow me to share (and vent).

I started off selling some Maui Jim sunglasses. I have some Tag Heuer's which are better, and frankly Maui Jim lenses are very prone to picking up finger prints, where as the Tag's have a special treatment that makes them stay clean more easily. Anyhow, I put them on eBay.

Sure enough I get a sale right away. This eBay shit is just too easy. So I send off an invoice and hear nothing. I wait, I message my buyer, and literally two hours before I was eligible to complain to eBay about it (six days and 22 hours later), I get some bleeding heart email about how he has no money and won't be able to afford them for two months.

In this economic crisis, I am not going to make a big deal out of this. Times are tough, although one has to wonder why someone is looking for $200 sunglasses if they are in financial trouble.

Anyway, after much wasted time I ended up paying to relist them all over again, and finally sold them.

Around the same time, I also sold a game from my old PS2 for a grand total of $5.55 plus shipping. I was hardly jumping for joy at selling a game I probably spent $29.99 on for $5.55, but what can you do.

I was very pleased to see that the buyer paid immediately for the game, and prepared to ship it. I planned on going to the post office the next day. Unfortunately when I went to look at the buyer's address, it was complete except there was no street address. I had a name, and a city. That was it.

So I emailed the buyer and told him I'd ship as soon as he let me know his address. I waited, and heard nothing. I sent several more messages to the guy and there was no response. I emailed eBay and they suggested I follow a multi step procedure to obtain his phone number, place a long distance call to some teenager in Arizona and try and get him to give me (some random guy off the Internet) his home address. Suffice to say, I'm not doing that.

I wrote several more messages both to the kid and to eBay, but to no avail.

About two weeks later I get a rude email from my buyer, it read:
"hey why havent you sent me my game im getting mad its been a week please send it i will still give good feedback if it comes in the next 1-3 days."
Despite the obvious reality I was dealing with a child, at least we had opened a line of communication. So a few minutes later, I replied and again reminded him that the incompetent cretins at eBay had failed to obtain his correct address when he signed up, and that I clearly could not ship a game to him without an email address.

Six days later, having ignored a couple more emails and eBay internal messages from me, I get this:
"You were paid JAn 23, Were is the item, Negative feedback wll be left. This after paying for your expesive shipping. Thank You Loser"
Hmm. So now, I'm a loser. My 'expesive [sic] shipping' was $2.99 by the way. The actual shipping cost came to $2.77 including delivery confirmation; pretty reasonable I thought. If anyone knows a cheaper way of shipping half way across the country, I'd love to hear it.

Again I responded, again I explained that I did not have his address. He replied the same day:
"sorry about the message my internet was slow so it did'nt show the message that you sent me sorry and thank you for buisness."
Great, so now it seems like the retard has figured out how to read his messages. Thank fuck for that. But did he give me his address? Of course not.

Nine days later my errant teen buyer finally figured out that I could not ship an item without an address. So he finally sent me his address four times, and posted negative feedback on my account. It read:
"Never sent item, no communications, this even after paying for express shipping."
Express shipping? For $2.99? Seriously?

Throughout this tedious process I messaged eBay over and over again asking for them to do something and questioning why they were letting members without a valid mailing address bid on items. They simply explained each time that there was nothing they could do.

When I asked them to escalate the matter to a supervisor, they shifted their attitude from not giving a fuck, to giving me the finger.

Here are some of their responses, which left me dumbfounded:
"eBay investigates and takes action against violations of policies, however, we are unable to take action on behalf of an individual member."
- Unable? I somehow doubt that is true.
"Because we aren't involved in the actual transaction, we can't force members to live up to their obligations."
- This was their response when I questioned why eBay did not perform even the most basic checks on their members, like ensuring that they had an address in their profile so that a seller could ship to them. But apparently, despite running the site, they are not 'involved.' That much certainly seems true.
"Even if a member leaves feedback that is unfair, untruthful, or harmful to a member's reputation, we can't remove it without a court order describing it as libel, defamation, or saying that the comment is illegal."
- So here eBay are claiming that the only way they can (or will) remove something from their web site is if it is illegal or they are forced to by a court order. Even if the comment is unfair, untrue, or harmful. Wow. Well eBay, you are fucking useless, your customer service is shit / nonexistent. You can all go fuck yourselves because you won't be getting another penny from me.

Unfortunately I cannot remove this opinion from my web site without a personal letter from the Queen of England, along with a Knighthood and £50m. Sorry, it's just my policy you malodorous bunch of douchebags.
"Again, we do understand that you feel very strongly about this issue."
- What finely honed, almost supernatural powers of observation you have. I'm getting chills, really.
"We have fully investigated this issue and have come to a point in which no further discussion is needed regarding this particular issue until more evidence can be provided. Although future emails from you will be read, unless they contain additional information for review or are about another topic altogether, we may not respond."
- Talk about customer service giving the finger. I honestly don't think I have ever been addressed with similar disdain from any company ever. Truly astonishing how eBay not only doesn't give a shit, but openly tells customers, not only don't we give a shit, but we are not even going to bother talking to you any more!
"It is my pleasure to assist you."
- It is my pleasure to know that your tedious life is spent sitting behind a computer dealing with complaints all day while earning fuck all. If this is how eBay treat paying customer, god knows how they treat their low level employees. But based on the content of this email, I don't really give a fuck.

So that's it, the story of why I am giving eBay the finger and why I encourage you to do the same. They fail to provide even the most basic levels of reasonable service and then refuse to play any part in attempting to rectify their fuck ups.

They charge too much, and if they are ever asked to help they lie about their obligations or capabilities.

I truly am sad to have had to write this. I always thought the concept of eBay was a good one, and always had a fairly positive opinion of them. I gave them multiple chances to try and make this situation they created right, and all I got was something between indifference and insulting.

In this economic climate with major corporations going out of business all the time, now is certainly not the time to get cocky and lacking in the customer service department.

If you have a story you'd like to share about eBay being shit, please feel free to make a comment on it.

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

hit the nail on the head mate bunch of fucking spunk eyed tossers

Anonymous said...

EBAY are theiving shit sucking fuck arse scum eating piss stains.

DONT use EBAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd prefer to throw my stuff away than sell it on EBAY. Its not just EBAY though. Most of the people who use it are corporate CUNTs as well.

ZCT said...

Indeed. Glad you agree. I see you have some strong feelings on the topic.

Anonymous said...

I agree Ebay are total shit.

Regardless of what they say there is no way of guarenteeing that a buyer is going to pay up and vice versa. There is no guarentee that you are going receive the item you paid for. There seller fee's take the piss as well. I have recently closed my account as I have been duped by sellers with 100% positive feedback and annoyed at being ripped off by ebay/paypal fee's. Now they are doing away with delivery charges on certain items. So a TREBLE whammy if you are a seller. Their policing of the site is appalling too.

Money grabbing twats!

From Tom in England

ZCT said...

Tom,

I completely agree with you.

As I mentioned in my latest eBay post they plain old suck at even the most basic things.

Right now they owe me about a grand that they have 'on hold' with Pay Pay for my buyers 'protection.' He received his item, I have the tracking number to prove it. Yet still they want to wait up to 21 days to pay me.

By the time you pay listing fees, selling fees, Pay Pal fees, shipping, packaging etc. it's hardly worth it.

Bastards.

Anonymous said...

yes, ebay is shit. some idiot sold me a broken camera as new, and they did nothing. I got same responses as you did

Unknown said...

Same experience here and fucking hate them. I am desperate for a viable alternative to become available so I can show my dusgust by never using them again. Alas, at the moment I find for some things I simply have to use them (doubling my already very high levels of fucked-off-edness!).

Unfathomable cuntheads and I cannot believe there is not someone out there who has the money and knowledge at their disposal who is prepared to come along and snap up all the pissed off ebayers with a decent alternative website.

ebay faggots said...

ebay is shit because it is just SHIT!!!
been on ebay for years and it get worse every year without fail,they fuck you with a tree truck (with no lube) up the ass all the time,high fees and dead beat bidders,scams,shit service all year round.got a problem? well fucking forget and move on don't bother,your better off talking to a fucking blind 2 year kid in a wheelchair who's never heard of ebay.any fuck ebay and fuck the fees!!! thank you..sorry one more time....

FUCK EBAY FAGGOTS

ebay faggots said...

I'M SO PISSED OFF WITH THEM AT THE MOMENT SORRY I'M SHAKING WTH ANGER

Anonymous said...

Very insightful ZCT. I was an eBay 'customer' for around 8 years until January '10.

I sold an XBox game within the UK and sent it Royal Mail 1st Class.

There were postal strikes at the time and the recipient put in a Complaint so my money was withheld by PayPal.

I repeatedly messaged the buyer and they eventually admitted they have now recieved it.

I requested that they remove the complaint and didn't hear anything for nearly two weeks. I rang PayPal and told them I had a message from the buyer confirming they have it.
This means fuck all obviously. The American/Mutant hybrid I was talking to on the phone kept asking for a tracking number, but I explained that the UK postal service doesn't offer this as part of Standard 1st Class delivery.
He again asked "Well sir, can I have the tracking number?". I repeated my response.

He asked me again and after much heated debate I told him I was going to not-so-carefully insert the tracking number up his rectum.

The only option I have got is to go to London to find the thief and beat the £20 quid out of him. Hardly worth the money in petrol.

The biggest thing to rub salt in the wound is I've seen the little shit playing my game on XBox Live.
(He's daft enough to use his eBay name as his XBox Live account).

Kany Kavuala! You're a thieving little *$%#.

(Please don't remove my comment until you get your 50Mill and Knighthood) :-)

All the Best mate

Andy
Up North Somewhere

ZCT said...

Thanks for your comments Andy.

It seems to me that eBay have gotten too big to care. They would rather piss off a few sellers and keep the illusion of 'safe' without really doing anything to actually be secure.

And no, I won't remove your comment. I only remove spam.

Have a good one.

Dave said...

Ebay were great, but now they've got the point of being a total monopoly and even advertise other products on your paid for listing!

By the way, give me the address of that kid in London and I'll go get your money!

Unknown said...

Hey there, same BAD experience with ebay as you guys. I recently wrote an inquiry to PIRATEBAY.org to create a Selling Platform. They are one of the most hit sites on the web and probably capable of getting relevant amount of users. So, write to piratebay as well, could be a good thing...

Mike

Anonymous said...

Ebay have totally lost the plot.
As long as the money keeps rolling in, nothing is going to change.
They behave like lords, constantly issuing new rules and regulations informing their members how to behave and how to sell. But when push comes to shove they are like an inpenetrable brick wall that ignores the users rights to fairness.

Anonymous said...

Ebay are becoming very heavy handed, suspending innocent peoples accounts, failing to eradicate crooked businesses, handing out directives like smarties.
When things go wrong for the little man, women, they just don't want to know.
When big companies contact them over minor patent violations they fall over themselves, to delete listings and block traders.
They are becoming dictatorial, telling people what to do and how to do it.
They have inflated their prices screwing their users.
I long for the day when some motivated equitable business man / women decides to challenge this crap entity to completely eradicate their existence.
Why do people put up with Feebay?

Anonymous said...

i have now left ebay for good as it is full of lifeless spineless complete idiots who are hoping to find the desperate and get their goods for nothing of their actual value.....i got insults and threats from people because i pulled/cancelled bids from them as is my right! example ''all saints shoes worn once with no marks cost 300 and highest bid was 45...so what im gonna sell them for nothing....i dont think so...decent bid will get you somewhere people

Anonymous said...

ebay are cunts and their website is full of counterfeit goods.

Alan P said...

How about using the European Proceeds of Crime legislation against them when the refuse to bar someone?

Unknown said...

completely agree! I m also wondering why eBay is still alive?!

They always bring out "policy" to prove their monopoly over you.

The process and functions are shit!

I always couldn't find the proper link to talk to buyer or seller.

They only know to earn your money now.

I m hoping some other commercial platform can emerge to kick out eBay just like what happened in China.

nwc said...

Same thing has happend to me he bought the item but did not pay arsehole thanks stigmast185 (25) i will do the same for you one day.E bay couldnt give a toss because they just keep the money roling in well the can go stick it up the ringhole i have finished with it.

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience on Ebay. In fact, I've had many. As has my boyfriend. Ebay shut his Paypal and Ebay account, and sent the bailiffs round to collect £900 worth of stuff, coz apparently, he owed them! After his Mum helped him pay them £900, they said he'd get it back when he Paypal was opened. Was his Paypal ever reopened? Was it fuck. They took £900 and never mailed him again. Though I do doubt my boyfriend's intelligence at time, I don't believe he walked into this. Ebay literally conned him. He spent hours on the phone, nothing happened. This was like, 6 months ago. £900 could have bought me a car, I am so fricking pissed.

I also recently paid postage for an exchange on a pair of shoes (BEWARE THE SELLER UCCSHOES) and she told me they were out of stock, but kept my extra money. She used every trick she could "we refunded the wrong amount, this makes it right" (LIKE SHITE, EVERYTHING WAS IN ORDER, OR I WOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM) "we charge this to send it back" (I HAVE TO PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE TO SEND IT BACK TO YOU?! I'd rather have a pair of size four boots with toilet roll in the toes and sellotape to keep them on my feet)and then the best one "what £3.60?".
I know it's only £3.60, but I've been pursuing this for 2 months. And I will continue. Just coz I can.
I know my anecdote is somewhat less impressive than that of my boyfriends, but my God, it was the tip of the iceberg.

I'm still selling and buying on Ebay, but I time everything I sell so fee's are low, and at the slightest problem, I complain like fuck.
I did manage to obtain UCCSHOES phone number today, so I'm going to be busy for the next four to five months.
I wish to destroy her. And then Ebay.

The whole feedback thing is awful, I agree. I've got 100%, thank God, and I don't know how I've managed that, I gave UCCSHOES terrible feedback, but I guess she didn't care enough to give me any feedback back.

Anyway, sorry for also venting, but I just wanted to say that you've really inspired me. I'm going to write my own blog, Ebay influenced. But also insurance price-inspired.
Thanks for writing this, it's nice to see that someone else feels the same about these useless bastards. It's also nice to see someone who doesn't censor themselves and isn't afraid of swear words.
I'm so glad I seen this. :)

amentherapy said...

typical , ebay is shit , I used to stll on ebay but because of stuff like this along with being accused of charging too much postage ( when I was not ) and ebays ever stupid changing rules and regulations and ridiculously calculated seller rating statistics I decided to stop selling on the shit hole website.


Ebay should start looking out for the sellers that are making the website exist rather than treating us like shit.

Mr Goodbar said...

eBay are a bunch of absolute wankers. They couldn't give a tramp's fuck about any problems their "users" might be experiencing - even though a lot of business sellers pay them and their crooked payment arm Paypal up to 25% of their gross earnings...

What makes me laugh is the way they can seemlessly disassociate themselves from any individual problem, by simply fobbing you off with insulting, useless shit like "we cannot get involved in the mechanics of individual transactions" (or whatever). Why not, motherfuckers?

What they're ostensibly saying is "we don't give a shit about you. We don't have any serious competition. So continue to take it up the arse from us while paying us a fortune. Fuck you. We don't care. Why should we help? Give us your money..."

Ebay's sellers take all the risk. They provide the merchandise. They deal with all the bullshit. So when you break it down, eBay are essentially just providing a bit of webspace for a lot of people... not bad for a £250 million operating profit every quarter, is it?

When I recently heard that they were successfully sued for 30 million Euros by a French designer company for selling fake merchandise, I giggled my arse off. I really, really hate eBay. They don't give a shit about their lifeblood, the people that bust their arses to earn them money. And I would be absolutely elated if this bunch of selfish, nonchalant cocksucking crooks went out of business. They will when a viable alternative springs up.

ZCT said...

Thank you all for your posts on eBay. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks they suck.

Unknown said...

Oh my, just was on the phone with ebay for 20 minutes, the lady came back on and gave me paypal's number "just in case we get cut off" ... guess what...she hung up.

CRAP, CRAP buyers who bid and don't pay. Crap buyers who nit pick about shit because they are stupid.

Where CAN I SELL STUFF!!!!

ebaycansuckit said...

The world is full of class A prize assholes! I have stopped using ebay after getting ripped off by someone who sent an item that he described as being in good condition that turned out to be bent like a banana, and it wasnt shipping damage I can tell you. I got professional opinions from 6 different sources who confirmed that the item had been misused, I opened a dispute with ebay and guess what, they sided with the seller! Fucking assholes! I deleted my account in disgust. I had sold hundreds of items and was always 100% transparent about the condition, I dont want to be fucked over by someone so I dont do it to anyone else. I was in utter disbelief that ebay sided with the other guy. I'm calling for a worldwide boycott of ebay. STOP USING EBAY IMMEDIATELY!

ozymandias739 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan Schofield said...

After working hard to keep up with their extortionate fees, I got royally fucked over by eBay. Some moron gave me a non-existent address and then complained when their goods were returned to sender. Ebay's solution? They invoice ME to refund the moron! So not only have I had to endure a complete fuck-around, they also expect me to PAY for the experience. Well guess what eBay? FUCK YOU. My eBaying days are over.

anon said...

Great post. I think Mike had a great idea when he said we should all email PirateBay about coming up with a selling platform. Even if they don't want to do it themselves, they know the kind of people who would be up for it.

Richard said...

Yes as everyone already said and will say in future posts.. eBay really is shit! The idea of eBay is a very nice one, they have more rules and regulations that make it safer, though it's not that good when you're a seller for all the reason that have already been widely shows and demonstrated.

I mainly sell on eBay, while I cannot complain about the money I am making from it I can complain about eBay customer service, I have 100% positive feedback with 4.9 star rating yet they keep sending me messages that my ads will be put at the last place in searches and they may even hold my payments in paypal until I improve my selling performance.

They send me reminders on how to improve and it's things I have already been doing years before they even started sending me these messages, it's a load of bollocks and of course they never reply to any of my messages regarding this or when I tell them about one particular customer from Spain who has been running a scam for over one year, he's still there scamming all sellers.

I am sure eBay are scamming themselves, though they think they always have the law on their side, wrong... my neighbour is due to court probably sometimes this year and is bringing a list of scams they have done within the years as his defence in court.

Regards, Richard (Brighton UK)

ZCT said...

I think I have a new one that will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'll probably write a new blog post on this.

So I sold my old Omega watch, the winning bid was $1300. I specified in the description, USA only, and also my preferences, no International shipping.

Well the winning bid was from some Chinese guy, with an eBay verified New York address. This eBay user had over 600 positive feedback in recent times.

Although I asked for payment in 48 hours, nothing happened, no contact at all. Just as I am offering the item to another bidder, he pays. PayPal verified from a foreign source. PayPal green light shipping.

I ship, as usual PayPal hold my money for an unreasonable amount of time, and then release it and charge me the outrageous fees.

A month goes by and I get an email from the Hong Kong branch of eBay IN FUCKING CHINESE! I Google translate it, and it basically says, the buyer doesn't exist, and not to ship my item. A MONTH AFTER I SENT IT OUT.

So I'm sure it's only a matter of time before PayPal contact me claiming that despite all their assurances and verification, they fucked up, accepted bogus credentials, and I'm guessing try to stick me for the fraud.

Time will tell. But sure enough eBay continue to be shit.

Ted said...

haha, paypal sucks! And they deserve it. U got your money right? let paypal pay it, it's a risk for upholding a service like this, a responsible they cannot avoid.

ZCT said...

Yeah Ted, I got my money. Of course eBay still charged me their cut, and accidentally double billed me the listing fee, and ignored my emails about that.

I'm just waiting for these fucktard loser assholes to tell me the PayPal verified payment was fraudulent and try and bill me the thousand dollars or so... Then I'll be suing the motherfuckers.

ZCT said...

I will say this though, I wrote back to the customer service in China, and they fucking ROCK!

A man who clearly spoke English as his second language wrote me, incredibly respectful, intelligent, and amazing use of English (a lot better than my Chinese!).

He ended the email:

"Good night and wish you a happy dream. ^_^ "

Now how often does customer service say that! It's like a fortune cookie in email!

They should just fire all the fucktards in America, and ship the whole damn thing to China!

Ashley said...

Try NimBid
I have used ebay for 4 years and then they limited my account bcz a guy with 13 feedback score was more trustworthy for them than me being a powerseller. i paid them nearly £10000 in charges only in 4 years.
I have been searching for a new platform to start and just recently seen NimBid.
This site recently launched and does noy have many members yet but bet me there services are superb, no listing fees at the moment so try for free. Customer Support is quick and much more helpful than others.
www.nimbid.com

mans_best_friend said...

Yes & some buyers are right scrooges. I agreed to meet someone so they could pickup something for £3 they won off me in a town 16 miles away. I thought that they would at least agree to give me some money for travel fare etc. Anyway his wife met me but just gave me the £3 & refused any extra for travel. Naturaly I was upset & angry but let her take it for £3.
The meanie sod then emailed back saying that I"d frightened his wife & daughter (I never saw any daughter) & threatened to call police as he had my adress. I then said that I didn"t mention any extra in emails, yet it said £4.75 delivery by post in the listing. he says he"ll keep all the emails
I only expected 2-3 quid extra. He thought I went to that town anyway for shopping etc. but I didn"t say that & can prove that in my emails. Needless to say he gave me neg FB saying I lied etc etc. I"ve only ever had trouble with ppl buying cheap items. I had my 1st neg on another ebay accnt after over 1000 positive FBs over an item that was just 79p yet I"d just made 1 innocent mistake

mans_best_friend said...

there"s also a site called Discogs for selling records & CDs with free listings & just 10% fees. I"ve sold a few on there that I couldn"t sell on ebay. Amazon is also good but fees are high but they only charge if u sell something.

Unknown said...

Yer please someone make a site like maybe amazon? Yes amazon could make a branch off of there site selling used items execpt make it work.

Ebay is the number one shittest site in the world and it only survives because its a monopoly - no competition = sitty service!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...