Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My New Omega Seamaster Chronometer

This week I added another watch to my watch collection. After a string of three Tag Heuer watches, I decided to look for something different.

My last watch was the Tag Link Diamond, but up to this point I had always purchased the quartz battery powered versions. This time I wanted an automatic self winding chronometer.

So I did the research, trolled through dozens of web pages and forums, and eventually found the watch I wanted. Omega is quite high end as a manufacturer goes. Ignoring the insanely priced watches that start at $10,000+ and considering the more affordable brands below $3,000.

Now a few years ago I requested some information from Omega and they sent be a couple of delightful coffee table books featuring some of their watches. But I'm very picky and only really liked one of their Seamasters that both looked good, and was a reasonable price. However, it wasn't really that much nicer than my Tag to justify the $2,300 they wanted for it. So I didn't make a purchase.

More recently a friend of mine wanted to replace his watch and started doing the research. He stumbled across the 2265.80, which is the quartz version of my new watch. After be bought it, I was blown away by the striking good looks of the watch, and decided that the automatic version needed further investigation.

After a little more research I located a dealer willing to discount to a price similar to the Internet price, but with full Omega warranty. I also discovered that Omega have discontinued this model as they axe the 'cheaper' watches and move upscale with their newer Co-Axial movements. Apparently they are looking to take a chunk out of Rolex sales. So I had to act quickly to snatch up one of these delightful watches before the stock ran out. And fortunately I was just in time.

I got the watch within 24 hours of ordering with all the official papers and documentation. Nice to find a business that does exactly what they say they are going to do when they say they are going to do it.

I've had my new watch for 24 hours now, so I figured it was time to post a review.

Review: Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer

The Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer2255.80, is a really beautiful watch. What Omega have done is marry the chunky solid look of a rugged diver's watch, with a sense of fun and style. It's in-your-face, but not offensively so. It's not diamond encrusted, it's not so big you look like a rapper with no taste. It's just sits there and says 'hello' but doesn't shout.

The face of the watch is 'electric blue' as opposed to the more subdued sea blue they offer in the same range. I think that the term cobalt blue would also be a good way to describe it. Whatever material Omega have used to create the face, it is certainly beautiful. It seems to change color depending on light conditions. Under some conditions it looks almost black, and with bright natural light it has an iridescent blue to it. There is a very fine Seamaster wave cut into the dial too, that adds another dimension of interest to the design.

I love a watch that is easy to read, and the large sword hands and big indices, certainly provide that ease of use factor. A generous coating of Super Luminova ensures a fierce night time glow, for quite some time after the lights go out.

Being an automatic watch the seconds hand sweeps smoothly around the dial, making 28,800 tiny movements an hour. As a certified chronometer it has passed various Swiss standards for accuracy, elevating it above the average automatic watch.

Speaking of movements, this particular one is being phased out by Omega in favor of their new line of Co-Axial movements. But this model is based on a top quality ETA movement that Omega modify heavily to create the 1120. It's been around for many years now, and is certainly tried and tested.

The watch case is finished with a lot of care and subtle detailing. Some parts have been polished to a mirror like shine, while others are satin. It all adds up to a substantial and beautiful case, that protects the watch to 300m / 1000ft below the sea. Somewhere I'll never be going (hopefully). There's a helium release valve I'll never be using that protects the watch from pressure changes while decompressing in a diver's bell. Somewhere else I hope never to be.

Like most watches the crown unscrews and can be used to set the date and time, but also wind the watch if you leave it unworn for too long.

The back of the case features a carving of a sea creature, and more of the Seamaster wave pattern. There's also a laser etched security mark, and the serial number.

The bracelet is the three link Speedmaster style bracelet. Three large pieces of brushed steel with two tiny polished accents at the join for another dimension of style. It's extremely comfortable and looks interesting.

The clasp is very nice, utilizing two push in buttons that must be depressed simultaneously to remove the watch from your wrist. Despite the high quality, I've read that because of the location, design and shape of the clasp it can be easy to scuff. Supposedly, it's not that hard to fix if you do scuff it up. Alternatively you can buy a new bracelet for $500ish should you need to.

What you're left with is a stunning watch with a serious pedigree, and real presence about it. I feel fortunate to have captured one of the last ones ever made by Omega. I'll certainly be wearing it every day, and believe that it is suitable for casual wear, and can also be worn in the boardroom with a suit.

If you are highly conservative type that can't get past the blue dial, there are various Seamaster watches that have a black or subdued blue face, and matching bezel insert.

I'll post an update after I've owned the watch for a while, and let you know how it is going. Certainly for now, I'm very impressed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...