Sunday, December 07, 2008

Mecca Time

I missed this story from back in April, but it just came to my attention.

Muslim 'scientists' have concluded that Mecca is in fact the the center of the Earth, with a perfect alignment to magnetic north.

As such they have extrapolated that the international standard of Greenwich Mean Time should be replaced with Mecca Time, since the British imposed their concept of time on the rest of the world during imperial times, and there is no scientific reason for its use as a basis for international time references.

They further concluded that all watches and clocks should run anti-clockwise, in the opposite direction to the way they run now, to assist Muslims find Mecca for prayer

This form of 'science' is called Ijaz al-Koran, where 'scientists' discover 'scientific facts' from the Koran in order to further prove the miraculous (and scientifically accurate nature of their holy book).

I think I'll pass on this one. I'm quite happy with my watch that runs clockwise. I also prefer a society that treats women as equal, and doesn't use 'science' to prove magic.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...