Thursday, December 11, 2008

Finally Got My Gold AK47!


I got my Playstation 3 in April of this year. Since then, with just a brief break to complete Grand Theft Auto: IV, I've been playing Call of Duty 4. After lots of hard 'work' I ranked up to a Gold Cross Commander, and finally got my gold AK47 tonight.

It's a pain to get. You need 150 head shots with each weapon from the assault class before you are granted access to the gold AK. And that takes some time.

I never bothered to go for gold weapons once I started going prestige because I knew I would just lose them again. Although before I went prestige for the first time I did get a gold light machine gun, which is pretty easy to get. Once I got my gold cross, I decided a gold AK47 was a much needed accessory.

Now I am an 'expert' on the assault rifles, I thought I'd give them a run down. My comments are based on using stopping power, and playing Mercenary Team Deathmatch, which is my game of choice. I also use the red dot sight on all these weapons, when available.

M16A4

Fires in three round bursts. Very powerful and deadly. Quite accurate too. I set my personal record of 41 confirmed kills (and one assist) on Countdown, using this weapon.

AK-47

Fully automatic, and although it has a little up and down recoil, it is very powerful and pretty accurate. It's probably my favorite weapon, especially since you can get it in gold.

G3

This is a nasty little single shot gun. It's pretty accurate, but it lacks power, so you can end up getting killed before you can down your opponent. I really hated this gun by the time I had reached my red tiger.

G36C

I really love this gun. It fires automatic and very fast with negligible recoil. It's a pretty deadly thing. My only real beef with it is that without the red dot sight I find it hard to use. The iron sights block a lot of what you are trying to shoot, so this weapon with a silencer is no use to me.

M4 Carbine

Basically just like the M16 but on full auto, and little less powerful. Another favorite of mine, a joy to use. No real recoil, accurate, not too noisy, smooth, clean, other words ;)

M14

I wasn't looking forward to using this one, as I don't much like single shot weapons. But I was surprised by the power of this thing. It is actually the most dangerous round for round of any of the assault rifles. Of course an automatic weapon tends to have the advantage of hitting the target multiple times, whereas this requires you to manually make that happen. But that said, I leveled up with this gun much quicker than I expected, and really quite enjoyed it. It's much like the G3, only bigger and far more powerful.

MP44

Hate is a strong word, but it is appropriate here. I hate this fucking gun. It is slow to load, inaccurate, weak, ugly, and just to be evil Infinity Ward ensured that you cannot put a scope or sights of any kind on it. I've read it is some throwback to WWII and earlier COD games. It needs to stay there, and if this is the kind of shit I'm going to have to use in COD5, I might just be taking the game back to the store!

Once you aim the gun, the crappy iron sights obscure a lot of what you are trying to see. Once you fire it, the muzzle flash and recoil means that you are basically shooting blind and just hoping to hit something. If you are lucky enough to kill someone with it, you are likely to die while taking forever to reload this thing.

I am so glad to see the back of this evil bastard of a gun.

I've now taken the game about as far as I intend to. I wanted a gold cross and gold AK, and now I have them. I don't intend to get a gold sub machine gun, because they give you the Uzi, which is not a gun I like. I doubt I will bother with trying to get a gold sniper rifle, because I'm not a great sniper. I'm not far off red tiger on the M21 though.

Ultimately though, I have to say, this is truly an excellent game. It really represents value for money. The multi-player game just keeps on giving and will easily gobble up a few hundred hours of game play if you let it. But that's fair enough. PS3 games are not cheap, so they should last a while. I can definitely say I've gotten my money's worth with this game. In fact I have not played a game as much as this since I bough San Andreas for the PS2. I played though that game twice it was so good.

I am going to get COD5 this Christmas, so time will tell if it can live up to COD4. If the multi player is similarly absorbing, I suspect I'll be playing it a lot. In the mean time, I'm going to enjoy showing off my golden gun.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...