Thursday, November 06, 2008

Blog Debates

I just had a rather interesting debate about politics on another blog, and it ended abruptly when the comments section was closed by the blog's owner. I'm not going to name names, but I am going to talk about it.

So my argument is as follows: America is falling behind the rest of the industrialized world when it comes to infant mortality, longevity, and preventable death statistics. I suggested that with 47 million Americans not having access to health coverage, and health expenses being the number one cause of personal bankruptcy, that maybe there was a problem.

I further went on to suggest that the abortion issue that keeps getting pushed by the right, is really being used as a political con trick. Before we start worrying about removing women's rights (which is a minority viewpoint in America), we should pay attention to our infant mortality figures.

My overall premise was basically, if we are the richest country in the world, spending more on health care than any other country in the world can't we do better, and maybe even make it into the top 10?

Surprisingly my calls for improvement were met with all kinds of strange arguments, that I'd like to share here.
  • Abortion is far more disgusting and evil than babies dying.
  • People without health insurance are dead beats, drug addicts, and unemployed.
  • The government is inept and can't be trusted to do anything.
  • People who want free health care, also want SSI, free housing, and welfare.
  • Socialized medicine is Communism.
  • I hate America and the 44% of conservatives in it, and should leave.
  • I have not grown as a person, nor studied or read.
  • People in Europe have to wait a year to see a doctor (I'm guessing someone hasn't traveled).
  • Free health care would mean the government controlling every aspect of American lives.
I know the election is probably a bitter pill to swallow for some people. But I find it astonishing that believing that America can improve itself is met with such anger.

As a footnote, the political cartoon above is just a joke. I don't hate Republicans. I have many Republican friends and relatives.

1 comment:

ZCT said...

Thank you Sarah. I appreciate the kind words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...