Sunday, January 08, 2006

Another Bad Beat Story


I was planning on avoiding the temptation to relay bad beat stories on my blog since they bore the crap out of me when someone tells me about them. With that semi-warning in place, read on...

I was playing in a freeroll invitational in a local poker league and had a horrible table. During the first 45 minutes 5 of the 10 players knocked out went from my table. This old guy got a boat, a bunch of trips, three flushes, it was unreal. I got pocket jacks cracked twice. But it was the way I was finally knocked out that annoyed me.

I raised five times the big blind before the flop with pocket nines, having played very tight up to that point. My raise was called. The flop was Q-7-5. I sensed weakness from my opponent and didn't put him on a Q. So I moved all in which was enough to put us both all in at that point. He paused for a while and then called with pocket sixes.

Now at that point there were two over cards on the board, no flush for anyone, and I had raised five times the big blind before the flop followed by an all in bet after the flop. I cannot fathom what he thought I might have had, or what hand he felt he could beat, other than a bluff with high cards. Of course I am clearly giving him too much credit, because none of those things entered his fish-like mind.

So anyway he catches runner runner to make a straight and knock me out of the tournament. Ah well that's poker. Just wanted to vent about the fish that played like a donkey.

If none of this post means anything to you might I suggest a look at my poker site...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...