Sunday, July 03, 2011

One Year Review: Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS

This month is a year since I bought my Chevy Camaro, I've put 15,000 miles on it, and figured it was time for an updated review.  The initial review is here.

I'm pleased to report that the first American car I've ever bought new is still trouble free.  Other than a couple of oil changes, I've not had to do anything to the car.  It starts perfectly every time, including remotely via the keyfob or even via the iPhone or Android OnStar app.  It runs smoothly, it's still fun to drive.  In essence everything I liked about it is still true, and everything that slightly annoyed me is also still true.

The styling that makes the car so unique in this segment does create a few issues of visibility, and it did take a while to learn to park it properly.  With most modern cars you barely have to think about parking, but thanks to the unusual shape of the Camaro you just have to think a bit more and learn to judge the distances.  The trunk is still a bit annoying because of its limited aperture, this can make putting a large suitcase in the trunk slightly more of a chore than it should be, although in truth this is partly due to the fact that the car came with a trunk mat that has ridges on it and the wheels on my suitcases can get caught on those.

But the minor niggles about visibility and the trunk are always outweighed by just how well the car does everything else.  As I've already said, no warranty or maintenance issues so far.  The car is lively and fun yet very well behaved on a run.  Last week I had to drive through some of Louisiana and into Texas.  I reset the MPG monitor and drove for about 250 miles.  I cruised around the speed limit most of the time, and did a few over taking maneuvers with heavy acceleration and 'sport' mode on the gear box.  Despite making no efforts whatsoever to save gas, I was achieving 27 MPG on regular gas.  With lots of city driving, I still am getting an average of 24 MPG.  That's just not bad for a 312 HP car.

As well as being a joy to take on a long run, it gets compliments wherever I go.  People make positive comments all the time, and if I take a passenger or colleague, they talk about getting to ride in my car like it was some kind of special trip; like I had let them sit in a Lamborghini or something!  Considering this car starts at just $22K, it's surprising how many people are so impressed by it.

I count myself among them, and really have nothing but good things to say about it.  I was looking for a sports car experience in a well mannered reliable car, where I could still at a pinch carry a passenger or two in the back seats.  And that's exactly what I got, very sporty performance, a comfortable ride, an attractive car, all for a reasonable price tag.

I've also had the opportunity to drive the latest Mustang in both hard top and convertible forms.  I won't deny this is a fun car too, with better visibility, a lighter and more nimble demeanor, and arguably a more comprehensive stereo system.  But despite the upsides, the Mustang is still so common on the roads, the back lights look stupid when signalling, and I really didn't like the old fashioned automatic box that doesn't have paddle shifters or sports mode, merely the Park, 3, 2, 1 kind of deal which is a bit 1980s.  I missed having a HUD too!

So that's about it for my car, I recommend it highly, and hope to enjoy it for a couple more years.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...