Thursday, September 09, 2010

3D Girl Saves Lives?

Scientists in Canada have developed the new answer to a speed bump.  It's a special optical illusion that is attached the the floor and at about 100 feet gives the 3D impression of a child playing in the road.

In theory the motorist then slows down, and a speed bump is no longer needed.

I think I'm going to have to suggest that this is a bad idea.  While I'm no psychologist, there surely has to be a 'cry wolf' effect here.  If I'm driving around and constantly see images of children appearing in the road, after a time, I'm probably going to be less responsive if a real child happens to be in the road.

"Oh it's just one of those new 3D children optical illusion speed bumps that I blogged about," I'll think.  Then splat, and I'm cleaning bits of child off my front bumper for the next couple of weeks, and explaining to the judge why I didn't even try to stop.

Seems like this idea might have some flaws.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...