Friday, December 12, 2008

Playstation Home

Sony finally launched their Playstation Home software yesterday, into what they are calling an open beta.

The software is exclusively available free to all Playstation 3 owners, and allows people to go online and interact with others in a virtual 3D world.

It's still very buggy and has a long way to go to become really impressive. But I have high hopes that a year from now it will be far bigger, better and more stable than it is right now.

On Thursday when it was launched I was unable to get online with it, and received a multitude of errors. But by this evening I was able to go online long enough to create two custom avatars and explore a few of the 3D areas, my home, the mall and the bar. There are still download errors on the other areas.

I have to admit I am a sucker for creating avatars, and enjoy messing around with the many features of this avatar creation software. I made a couple of nice pretty people (pictured above) and wandered around with them.

All in all, it's a neat idea. I can't see myself using it alot, but I'm sure for people who like this sort of thing it will be very popular.

If nothing else it is a really cool demonstration of the power of the Playstation 3.

Please note the picture quality above is pretty poor due to the fact I took the images with my iPhone off the TV in a dark room. In real life the images are outstanding high definition and very pretty.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...