Saturday, November 01, 2008

With Friends Like These...

Lawrence Eagleburger, who served as Secretary of State under George H.W. Bush and whose endorsement is often trumpeted by McCain, caused a bit of controversy this week on National Public Radio.

In an interview that was intended to be in support of the McCain campaign, he was asked if Sarah Palin was ready to step up as President should the need arise. His response: "Of Course Not."

He then went on to qualify his comments by stating that in his opinion, "I don't think at the moment she is prepared to take over the reins of the presidency. I can name for you any number of other vice presidents who were not particularly up to it either. So the question, I think, is can she learn and would she be tough enough under the circumstances if she were asked to become president, heaven forbid that that ever takes place?"

"Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be, she will be [pause] adequate. I can't say that she would be a genius in the job. But I think she would be enough to get us through a four year... well I hope not... get us through whatever period of time was necessary. And I devoutly hope that it would never be tested."

Ouch.

And this is from a Republican who allegedly supports McCain.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...