Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why I Hate Apple

There many reasons why I think I should like Apple. They make pretty products and they are highly innovative, but for some reason something about the company always manages to piss me off. Here's my list of why I hate Apple:
  1. iTunes. It's fucking shit. They are up to version 8.0 as of today, and it is still clumsy and annoying. It can't be that hard to copy some MP3s onto an iPod. Does it really need to be 80Mb? Why can't I plug my Shuffle into multiple computers? Over simplification actually makes it harder to use.
  2. Genius. The new iTunes feature. All it seems to do is tell me to buy more songs similar to what I am already listening to. Audio Satellite did this some five or six years ago. Sure it was illegal back then. But the technology is hardly new, and I have no idea why it took them so long to offer it. But in any case it is just a commercial to buy more songs from iTunes.
  3. Quicktime. I consider this to be the worst of all media players. It is ugly, badly written, and generally shit in almost every way. Also like spyware, once you get it on your computer it is hard to get off. It likes to seize file extensions from other players, and integrate itself into your web browser. And worst of all they always bundle it with iTunes just to piss me off.
  4. DRM. Just fuck off. I don't want some file that I can't easily use as I see fit. And you know what, if I buy a song and email it to my wife, that's my business. I don't need some big brother telling me how many times I've copied the file. As easy as it is to purchase music on iTunes, I will never do it again (unless they have some exclusive thing I can't get elsewhere). I can buy my music on Amazon.com for the same or lower price, and get an MP3, that I can do what I want with. No DRM. Amazon just need to tidy up their purchase interface a bit.
  5. File structure. Why the fuck does Apple fuck around with file names and weird directory structures on their iPods? F1, F2, F3 etc. WTF? Why not just store all the files in a sensible directory structure so I can back up my iPod to my computer with ease.
  6. Arrogance. Apple are just so arrogant about their Macs. Guess what? They do break down, you can get a virus for them, there are a lot of things you can't do with a Mac, and malware is not exclusively a PC problem.
  7. Safari. I don't care if it is the most amazing browser in the world. I don't want to be told to download it every time a bug fix comes out for one of the programs I do use. If I wanted to download Safari I would have done it already.
Despite all these little rants, I have to say the new iPod nano looks sweet, and I am quite tempted to buy an iPhone. Although I do like my Blackberry Curve a lot.

I really want to like Apple, but I just wish they would stop fucking about.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...