Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ugly New Acura TL

I used to own a 2005 Acura TL. It was an uninspiring Japanese Blahmobile. Sure it was comfortable. Sure it was fairly fast. Sure it had lots of nice high tech looking toys and blue LEDs (I'm a sucker for blue LEDs). And being a Honda, I'm sure it will last many years. But it truly was uninspiring to drive. Bland, boring, blah.

I'd had it less than a year before I started test driving other cars, looking to replace it. And in a personal record, I replaced it after 18 months. The last straw being when it slid off the road due to faulty factory fit tires. They gave me a brand new set of tires for free, but that didn't pay my insurance deductible, or make me feel like the nose heavy front wheel drive car was not going to do it again.

In the motoring press I'd long heard about the new TL that was just around the corner, and sure enough noticed an ad for it today. Having seen the new TSX I was not surprised to learn that the new TL is an ugly monstrosity, from any angle.

You can order the very well equipped base model for $34K, add a tech package for $38K, or add their so-called Super Handling All Wheel Drive package for another $4K.

But ignoring for a moment that it is one of the most ugly cars I have seen in recent years, I'm not sure how they really expect to compete with the insustry leader in this catergory; the BMW 3 Series.

With similar specifications the 3 Series is about the same price. The 335i has more horse power (300 vs. 280), the 335d has a diesel engine that can get 500+ miles on a tank of diesel, but still get you from 0-60 in 6 seconds. The BMW has near perfect weight distribution, rear wheel drive (or all wheel with the x-drive system). And even without driving the new TL, I am pretty certain that the BMW handles better and puts its horsepower onto the road better.

And let's face facts here, the BMW is a million times better looking:

Add to that the fact that BMW will service your car for free (including oil changes and any other replacement parts - except tires) for the first 50K miles, and you simply have a better vehicle.

About the only thing I am impressed with on the new TL is the very high tech looking interior, which is good looking. Of course the biggest advantage of the TL interior is the fact that you won't have to look at the exterior. You'll still have to endure the disparaging looks of pedestrians who are wondering why you just spent close to $40K on something that looks like a Saturn on acid, but I guess that serves you right for buying one of the ugliest new cars on the road today.

Frankly, the Honda version of the same car is way better looking, and way cheaper. Now it is missing some of the bells and whistles of the new TL, but equally you can get one fully loaded for $8,000 less. That's quite a saving. And the horse power is just 9 shy of the new TL.

Having read a couple of the reviews, there is no doubt that the new TL has a lot of cool technology. There is certainly no doubt that the technology package provides a navigation system that makes the always hated i-Drive system on the BMW look like an eight bit computer. But even if this car drove like a BMW M3 (which it doesn't), I could never get past the fact that this is one ugly ass car.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a 2005 TL and, having driven the automatic loaner cars the dealer gave me, I can say that the auto and the 6-speed, like mine, are two different cars. If you're was an auto, then, yes, it's very blah in auto but comes alive in manual.

But this week again in a loaner, I got to drive the new TL for a day. I can't say which aspect would stop me from buying one, they are so many from which to choose. It looks like a failed Island of Dr. Mareau experiment, an abortion crying out to be loved by anyone, anyone.

The interior is inferior. My interior doors handles are wrapped in a soft vinyl. The new TL's handles are soft in the back but cold, hard plastic on the front. It was the first thing I noticed when I closed the door. There's one storage binnacle where the were tow before on the console. The glovebox is comically small, the instruments have not just lost their blue, they've lost all color. It's just bland, white on black now.

The aluminum trim, elegantly sweeping around the knee area, is angled with an edge. Want to guess what that edge digs into with every bump and turn? My knee was in pain with every moment behind the wheel.

Remember those cool bi-xenon lights? I'd love to hear why only the low beams are plasma now. That alone would stop me from buying the car.

Overall, it feels tinny, plasticky, and unpleasant. I won't be getting a new TL.

ZCT said...

Since I wrote this article, I've seen one in person, although I've not really studied it.

It is just as ugly in real life as the pictures would have you believe.

I stand by my assertion that a BMW is ten times better than a TL, and now they are pretty much the same price.

Anonymous said...

Honda is in dire trouble. Not one cutting edge sports (or sporty) for that matter vehicle in the lineup.. and no I don't think a 10+yr old S2000 counts. It looks like Honda has dismissed everything that made them a force in the early 90's.... their focus on "earth" vehicles is a farce. Get rid of tree huggers and get a car guy running the ship. Remember the stupid "earth dreams" F1 car? No wonder it wasn't until Brawn took it over they started winning races.

PS - I own 3 Honda in my garage but at this point there isn't one car in their line up that intersts me. Hello Toyota!

ZCT said...

Well Anonymous, I don't know if they are in 'dire' trouble. Honda still play on their reputation a lot. But I agree that I am not interested in their vehicles.

Perhaps the most disturbing problem, at least in my experience locally, is their shit customer service. When I go into a Honda dealership, I find their sales people to be assholes. Their sales managers to be even bigger assholes. You'd really think they were selling private yachts for $100 with the attitude they are giving.

Now in all fairness Acura dealerships I've found to be a better experience. But they only have one mid sized sports sedan, and it's this fucking ugly monstrosity that is the new TL. No reason to buy it at all.

Anonymous said...

Although I respect your disappointed opinion of the older 2004-2008 TLs, I believe the vast concensus was that they were beautiful to look at, and look good eveh today. The TL was Acura's best selling car during that time, due to its incredible sex appeal (great looks!). Now that they have replaced it with a monstrosity, I wonder how soon Acura will redesign it to something that is more tasteful to the palate, after looking at how terrible its sales are going to be compared to its predecessor. They will be hit where it hurts, in their shrinking pockets.

ZCT said...

I'm not sure I would go so far as to say 'beautiful.' The 2004-2008 TL was fairly good looking, and was very well equipped and styled on the inside.

My beef of course is the horrible weight distribution (nose heavy), mediocre handling, and in the case of mine supplied with faulty tires that could have killed me.

For my money the TL was a compromise car that is easily surpassed by similarly priced competition (BMW, Audi, Infiniti). Since it is now a hideous monstrosity to boot, I have no clue who would buy one.

Dan B said...

On point. The new TL is one of the most disgusting things called a car to look at. I can't believe people purchase them. I figure they all work for Honda.

Sad the last TL was a good looking car with a good price. The new one is big, ugly, overpriced, ugly, slow, ugly, ugly and more ugly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...