Thursday, January 05, 2006

Thanks CBS

If there is one thing that I will forever fail to adjust to about America it is the way that the TV networks don't give a flying shit about their viewers and care only about numbers.

Like many people I started watching Threshold, largely because Brent Spiner was in it and I've always enjoyed his acting. The show was basically The X-Files but with a different spin and more reminiscent of the good old days of The X-Files before it started to get silly. Either way I started watching it, had the DVR recording it and saw all but one of the episodes.

Unfortunately the all important ratings were not amazing and so like so many shows before CBS decided to cancel the show and not air the final three episodes already shot.

Now this really pisses me off. Get me watching a show that has an ongoing plot line and then simply yank it off the air after messing with the schedule for the show in the last few episodes. I just fail to understand the logic in such a move. Back in the sixties the networks did the same thing to Star Trek, pulling it off the air due to poor ratings. Later on when people realized it was a good show they made more. Eventually Star Trek spawned countless spin-offs and movies making hundreds of millions of dollars. Now that the most recent rendition of Star Trek has finally come to an end they are working on a massive online RPG due to be released next year.

So with lessons like that as far back as forty years ago, why have these networks not learned anything? Why are they still making the same blunders and shitting all over their viewers?

I find it offensive that I invest my time to watch a show, only to find it being moved to different nights and different times, and then it vanishes for a couple of weeks, comes back then vanishes for good. I have to go searching the Internet just to figure out what happened.

So I guess Threshold is no more and I will never know what happened next. Thanks CBS, I appreciate you wasting my time. I will certainly remember this next time you are trying to shove some new show down my throat.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...