Friday, December 16, 2005

The New Apprentice

I think that like many people (at least according to some polls) I was rather disappointed to see that when Randal was hired he blocked Trump's idea to hire Rebecca as well. At the time of writing the official Yahoo! poll shows that 22% feel that Randal should have been fired for his actions, while another 49% feel that Trump should have hired both anyway.

Randal was certainly an outstanding candidate who was clearly superior to any of the other options. While he deserves to be the next Apprentice I don't think he made any friends with the manner in which he dismissed the notion that Rebecca should also get a job.

Personally I think this is a problem with some aspects of American culture, the feeling that first place is to be won at all costs and second place makes you a loser. Let's face it, Rebecca bested hundreds of thousands of people to make it to second, for her to leave empty handed despite all that she achieved, the tenacity and determination she showed is rather sad. I'm sure she could contribute a lot to the company. I'd certainly give her a job, but I don't think I'd be able to pay what Trump can!

I was also amazed to discover yesterday that Rebecca is only 23! That is truly an amazing achievement to do all the things she has done in her life and make it through to the final of one of the toughest competitions on TV.

Despite this disappointing ending, The Apprentice is still a great show, and I look forward to the LA version coming next season.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...